The Healing Process!
Every body and skin type is different and will heal differently after a tattoo but here are a few general tips
- Keep your bandage on for the length of time discussed during your appointment. The size and placement of the tattoo can determine the amount of time the bandage should be kept on. In general it is best to keep the bandage on for at least 24 hours!
- Remove the bandage with clean hands. I recommend washing your tattoo twice a day, morning and night. Use unscented soap when cleaning! In between washing keep your tattoo dry.
- I recommend moisturizing only when your tattoo becomes itchy (2-4 days depending on the tattoo)! It is best to use more natural products like Shea butter or hypoallergenic, fragrance free lotions. Use moisturizer maximum twice a day and a thin layer when applying.
A couple things to avoid while healing:
- Do not scratch your tattoo! Picking at scabs could potentially pull ink out of your skin.
- Do not submerge your tattoo in water for prolonged periods of time until it is fully healed (usually 2-4 weeks). Showering is fine!
- No excessive sweating like working out or saunas.
- Do not directly expose your tattoo to the sun! Try to keep it away from the sun while healing. It is inevitable that all tattoos fade due to our skins shedding and regenerating but sun exposure can negatively affect the healing process!